Τρίτη 20 Αυγούστου 2013

Dear Savas Michael-Matsas,
 
I write to you in support of your stand against Nazism, fascism and anti-Semitism in Greece. I hope that the attention brought to your case will help to dismiss the ludicrous charges that have been brought to my attention. Certainly the precedent set by your trial on these charges are chilling for anyone interested in the free expression of ideas, regardless of their philosophical position on any other issue, but also for those interested in opposing hatred and persecution anywhere. As a German and an American, and so, a natural ally of Greeks and Jews, I am most alarmed at the rise of the Golden Dawn in Greece. As any student of history, particular of German 20th Century history, knows, the targeting of Jews and immigrants during economic crises, evil enough in and of itself, is an old yet effective tactic for dividing workers against each other and using that distraction to seize or maintain political and economic power. This never ends well for the people being targeted nor for the rest of those already suffering the crisis. In this context, your trial is of immense historical significance for both native Greek workers and immigrants, both Jews and Gentiles. I know which side I am on and I will urge everyone I know to send you their support as well.

In Solidarity,
 
Thomas Masterson